Under the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester, the District Parish of Coddington consists of the villages of Aldersey, Barton, Carden, Clutton, Coddington and Stretton. Each village of the parish has its own history and heritage.
An affluent hamlet with a number of attractive residences. The village of Aldersey remained in the possession of the Aldersey family for nearly seven-hundred years. Until its demolition in 1958 the Aldersey family residence, Aldersey Hall, dominated a predominately farming landscape. The hall had also been used as a finishing school for girls and had been requisitioned by the military during the Second World War. The area also once contained a salt works and brick kiln, where its manufactured bricks were used in the construction of the nearby Coddington Mill. The village is also home to the Aldersey Golf Club. Adjacent to its main thoroughfare is a war memorial housing a village water pump. The memorial is dedicated to two of the Aldersey family who perished in the First World War. More details of the Aldersey family history can be found at the following link: Click here
The picturesque village of Barton contains nine listed buildings, including an ancient well and stocks. The village is thought to date from the 10th century when it developed around a manor house built by a knight, who had been granted the land as a reward for deeds unknown. More information on the listed buildings can be found at the following link: Click here…
Stretton contains a number of Grade II listed buildings including; Stretton Hall, Stretton Lower Hall, Stretton Old Hall and Stretton Watermill. The watermill is also a working museum which is managed by Cheshire West and Chester Council and is open to visitors at specified times. More information on the watermill can be found at the following link: Click here…
Although not recorded in the Doomsday Book, the area around Carden is thought to have been populated since the Last Stone Age (Upper Palaeolithic period). The village of Carden consists of Lower Carden and Higher Carden. Carden Hall (sometimes referred to as Carden Old Hall) is a Grade I listed building in the village. The village is also home to Carden Park a four-star leisure, hotel and golf complex. More information on the history of the area can be found at the following link: Click here…
The ancient village of Clutton is thought to have been populated since Celtic times. Mentioned in the Doomsday Book – under the spelling of Clutone – the village is recorded as containing four households. The last two decades have witnessed a residential building programme that has substantially increased the village population. The village is also home to a Church of England primary school.
More information on the history of the area can be found at the following link: Click here…
Preceding its Doomsday Book recording by at least four hundred years, the village of Coddington book entry shows its patronage to be in possession of the brothers Hugh and Ralph de Arscio in 1093. By 1098 the patronage was held by the Abbey of St Werburgh at Chester. During Henry VIII Dissolution of the Monasteries the patronage was transferred to the Dean and Chapter of Chester Cathedral, who remain joint patrons with the Duke of Westminster. A proportion of the farms, land and properties remain in the possession of the Duke of Westminster.
Although there are other listed buildings of interest in the village, St Mary’s church is one of the most prominent and visible. The current Grade II listed sandstone built parish church of Coddington was completed in 1834. Its predecessor, which was demolished in 1833 for being structurally unsafe, is believed to have dated from between the 8th and 10th century.
An excellent online source of information relating to the history of Coddington Parish Church, can be found at the following link: Click here
Map shows the Coddington and District Parishes of; Aldersey, Barton, Carden, Clutton, Coddington and Stretton.